Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Nigella's Maple & Pecan Bundt Cake

This lovely Maple & Pecan Bundt cake marks my first exploration into Bundts!
My reasons for making this were threefold:
  1. As my inaugral entry to the Forever Nigella blog challenge
  2. In honour of my recent trip to Canada as it includes a good helping of maple syrup
  3. Because I have never made a bundt before, and fellow blogger @Dolly Bakes can often be heard singing 'I like big bundts' on twitter...and I have to say I often end up singing it all day!! Many apologies if you now spend the rest of today with this tune in your head!!!
The Forever Nigella challenge gives you a lot of freedom to pick a recipe. The only stipulation is that your recipe must come from the Domestic Goddess herself. So this maple and pecan bundt comes from 'Kitchen' by Nigella. This challenge is hosted by Maison Cupcake.

This recipe was really simple to make and the filling really lifted the sponge. A rather moreish cake which is ideal with a cup of tea! Your friends will also marvel at the impressive bundt moulding on the turned out cake! I did however, have to buy my rather expensive Nordic Ware bundt tin...but it is an investment for the future, as it really is a top quality tin...and there was absolutely no sticking!
Altogether now... 'I like big bundts and I cannot lie...when a baker walks in...'

Maple and pecan filling:

75g plain flour
30g unsalted butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150g pecans, chopped
125ml maple syrup

For the sponge:

300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarb of soda
125g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
2 eggs
250ml creme fraiche
Icing sugar for dusting

I preheated the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas 4 before using Wilton Cake Release to grease my 23cm bundt tin.

This was simple to make, it was just a case of making up the filling to start by mixing the flour and butter with a fork to make a crumble like mixture. To this was added the cinnamon, maple syrup and chopped nuts, before mixing again to make a sticky, nutty paste.

To make the sponge to surround the filling, weigh the flour, baking powder and bicarb of soda into a bowl. In a seperate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar to a light and fluffy texture. To this add a spoon of the flour mix, then an egg, another spoonful of flour and then the second egg, mixing as you go. Add the remaining flour and beat, before adding the creme fraiche. This will make a fairly stiff cake mixture.

Put half of the cake mix into the bundt tin and push it up the sides to make a little trough for the maple and pecan filling. Carefully add the filling in the trough and then add the remainder of the cake mix on top and gently spread it out using the back of a spoon. The cake should be baked for 40 minutes but mine was ready in 30 minutes.

Once out of the oven, cool the bundt in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out...et voila!

13 comments:

  1. These maple & pecan bundt cake looks divine! It will be great for tea time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I love maple syrup and pecans, it's perfect! Never made a bundt before but I'd love to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! I bet it tastes even better with the canadian syrup. I'm getting rather jealous of all these gorgeous bundt tins on the baking blogosphere. And yes, I shall now spend the rest of my day singing "I like big bundts and I cannot lie..!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks gorgeous Laura. Love the maple syrup and pecans - Bet this tastes fab! Funny, I tried a Bundt for the first time today, too! Great minds etc :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I've been put off buying a bundt tin because of the price (I'm a cheap skate!). You can always trust Nigella to deliver on a fantastic recipe that works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. This looks ever so good! It is similar to cakes I have seen in Austria. You have made it with such a precision, it must be very yummy. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree with you that baking a large bundt is great! You will get to enjoy more of its fluffy inside than the outside... But, a large bundt like yours is always too big for my family so I always have to make them in the form of mini bundts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all!

    Clare...you should definitely try a bundt, very easy!

    Jo...sorry about the song, if it's any consolation it's now back in my head again!

    Susie...how did your bundt go?

    Rolling Pin Claire...it was a bit painful to pay that much for a bundt tin...but if Nigella says so, who am I to argue! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Bundt cakes. I use my tin on any occasion I can. I really want to invest in a mini bundt pan now too. Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like my ideal cake. Please can I have one the next time I see you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren - I know, I may have got the bundt bug now and have my eye on mini-bundts too!

    Sheils - I'll do you a swap for a seeded loaf! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! Look at that. Oh, I really want a slice and now my mind has just shouted out "custard"!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!