Monday, May 6, 2013

3D Dinosaur Cookies

I've been looking forward to making these 3D dinosaur cookies for a little while now and with a long weekend upon us, it seemed like the perfect opportunity. I bought the cutters from Folly Home, I made the stegosaurus and the T-Rex but you can also get a brachiosaurus and a triceratops!
These do take a little bit of time to make but the end result is worth the effort. They would also make a lovely gift for a little boy!
Each set comes with several different cutters, you need to make each of the cookies and then when they're cool you can fit them all together to make your 3D dinosaur. I used this basic biscuit dough from the BBC as I couldn't find my usual recipe. The cookies tasted great but they were quite fragile so it is important to be really careful not to break any of the pieces. Another tip is to ensure that the little slots on each cookie are suitably opened before baking, if they're too close when they go in then the slots will be too narrow to fit the cookies together. To avoid the cookies spreading too much when baking I put them in the freezer (already cut out) for 5-10 minutes on the baking tray to firm up the butter.
 
One top tip I would recommend is using a cookie spatula. By using the spatula you can easily pick up your cookies without altering the shape, as sometimes the cookies can become misshapen. Also after using a cookie cutter, you may end up with some slightly rough edges, to give a neater finish, pick up the cookie and gently pat down these edges or run your finger around the edge...but be careful not to change the shape again.
You can leave the cookies undecorated but I like the idea of lots of different coloured dinosaurs, so I decorated them using royal icing and the flood filling technique. If you want to know more about how to do this, I previously briefly outlined the process when I made Love Heart Cookies. Once the royal icing on these dinosaurs had set over night, I secured the legs on with a little more icing.
I'm entering these 3D dinosaur cookies into this month's Tea Time Treats challenge which is hosted alternately by Kate from at What Kate Baked and Karen at Lavender and Lovage, this month it's Karen's turn. The theme for May is Biscuits and Cookies.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh those are soo cool! Love the detail in the icing :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow! Laura, these are absolutely brilliant biscuits- I love the snazzy icing! Thank you so much for entering these into TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura these are fantastic! The icing is perfect! I tried to make 3D Christmas tree cookies at Christmas but no matter what I did, the shapes of the biscuits changed when I baked them (even after being the freezer!) any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! You did such a great job with these Laura - impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome are these! :D I Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you have given me an idea there for my son's next party. He adores dinosaurs! I may not match yours in skill levels but I shall certainly have a good go. Love that cookie spatula too, very useful tool :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful, well done, your icing is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh really cool, I am going to have to design some farm animals for my girls! Shannon from http://canterlily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat - not sure why biscuits would spread after being in the freezer/fridge, I think they always will a little??? Did they go straight in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, they look so good! Love the idea of 3D cookies and your decoration is fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the t-rex set and have held off using them because I always struggle to get 3D cutters to work. Love your tip about freezing the dough before baking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are JUST amazing Laura, what FAN and FUN biscuits, I LOVE them! Thanks so much for adding them to Tea Time Treats, they are just the best biscuits I have seen for a long time! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cookies look really cool.
    And thank you for the tip on chilling the dough before baking. I always do with shortcrust pastry for baking, never thought of it for cookie dough ! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some amazing looking cookies :-) Kiki

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!